Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Serving others...

A doula is most well-known for being a servant. More specifically, a woman who serves in birth. I was doing a routine check of my facebook messages (I'm supposed to be fasting from facebook for Lent, but keep getting work-related messages. So I check...) when an article that a fellow birth lover in Georgia posted. Here it is:


It took my breath away. I know, I know. It's common sense to say that using sterile equipment in birth will help increase health for both the mother and baby. And those things are common and easy to come by in a moments notice for people like you and me. But there are people around the world who don't have these things on stand by. Who don't have 50 cents to put towards simple life saving equipment. 

Even I have 50 cents. 

So, I am inspired. I want to find a way to help. Here is my idea. First, I need to find a specific community to get involved with. I'll be emailing my Bishop and a few midwives about this today. If any of you out there know of a specific community off hand who could use this type of help, feel free to pass on their info. Any missionaries who are working in rural areas across the globe would be helpful. 

What I'll do is after I find a community, and after I have completed raising funds for my midwives who have offered to serve at my birth, I will continue to use this blog to raise funds for this cause. There will be more paper work and business work making this sort of charity legit and all (I will probably do that through my church if I can). But all in all, I feel like I have a great avenue to help serve other mothers in a very simple way. If I cannot physically help mothers across the globe by holding their hand, I will do my darndest to help increase their chance at a healthy start to motherhood. And life. For each mother and for each baby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment