Tuesday, March 27, 2012

4 kids is not a lot...

I'm sure that if you have 3 or more children, then you've been treated like you have a "large" family. A lot of people were super surprised when we announced the pregnancy of our third baby. As if we were having our 12th. Then when we announced our 4th, everyone started asking if we didn't believe or if we didn't know how to use birth control. Uhhhrrrrmmm. Welp. -Insert awkward silence here- It's funny how easily people toss around judgments and personal questions. I know when they say those things, that they do not want to hear the details of my obstetric history. Or hear that there is an actual scientific reason to my hyper-fertility.

So, I dodge their questions. And I give them a little joke and a partial truth. The truth is that I am simply working hard to repopulate the world with redheads one baby at a time. Rumor has it, that we are endangered. So, I will single-handedly try to fix it. (With the help of God and my husband). Even though red hair is scientifically known to be a recessive gene, it seems to be quite powerful in my father's family. Hanging out at family reunions on my father's side is quite the gathering of brightly colored and many shades of red. I even have a dabb of red from my mom's side of the family! Add that to my husband's genes who also carries red hair from his family and so far we have come up with two out of three red heads (the youngest is still to be determined since we produce bald children).  At least I am producing people who carry the gene, passing it on one way or another ;)

I am proud to have two gorgeous redheads and one beautiful bald baby:

I dunno, I guess I have always imagined that people with 6 or more kids is a lot. I guess the only reason why I think that is because it puts you in a special category for buying cars. Even though I was one of two kids, I have a large and very close family. I love the values of coming from a large family. Large families make amazing and very interesting people. I want that for my children.

It's all relative though. 2 kids is a lot for some, while 6 is a lot for others. Everyone's lifestyle is different. If you worry about me or think I'm crazy, Please don't. There's nothing to fret. I'm happy. I may be loosing my marbles half the time, but I think I didn't need them in the first place. These kids are awesome. We have so much fun together. I love how my life is growing and how big my world gets with each of my children. 

And I have high hopes for a large gaggle of red-headed grandbabies to spoil one day too! Yay for vibrantly red hair!!!! Whoohoo!



3 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have lost your marbles, midear, then Lord have mercy so have I. You are doing a fandamntastic job of populating the world with very beautiful human beings. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's your red hair that got my attention on the Ellijay Square - you are the only person I know with such a beautiful, natural shade of red. (besides your kids) People have their own "normal" and some just can't accept other versions - too bad for them. I'm learning a litle now that I've "come out" and told people I am homeschooling next year. It's funny to see so many different reactions. Keep up the good work! I can't wait to meet this next bald baby! - Amy (I don't understand how to pick a profile, so I just picked Anonyous - lol!)

    ReplyDelete