Monday, April 23, 2012

Recovery and Paula Abdul

Recovery is an odd thing. I've never broken a bone (maybe a toe). I've never been seriously ill. I have had two surgeries when I was a teenager, and I'm pretty sure that my mother kept me medicated through recovery to the point where I don't remember what recovery was like. Unfortunately, I cannot medicate myself through this recovery since I am a mom now, and all. So I am very present and well aware of what this recovery entails. It includes many ups and downs.

It looks like I have injured my sacroiliac joint. This is good and bad. It's good because I was really worried that I had broken my tail bone in my car accident and that birthing this baby was going to be a problem. I am TERRIFIED of having surgery while awake, therefore I am terrified of c-sections. I am thankful for their life-saving properties. But I'm pretty sure that if I ever had to have one, I'd have to be put under. I'm not afraid of many things. I actually have an abnormal absence of fear in many situations where it should be a good quality to have. I am afraid of two things: I am afraid of slugs (or any slug-type thing) and I am afraid of having surgery while awake. So good news is, my injury should not contribute to a moment when I might have to face my fears. And the bad news is that it takes quite a while for the SI joint to heal. More good news is that if I take it easy and do things just right, then I should be feeling pretty dandy in time for this baby to be born.

Some things that I have learned that make things worse: sitting "Indian style" or cross-legged (Two very hard habits to break), squatting, bending over, and twisting. So, my job as a mom and everything that it entails is pretty much made more difficult for a while. My kids DEMOLISH the house every day. They are still pretty young, and while they can "help" clean up, it's still in my hands at the end of the day to make sure everything is back in it's right place. One thing that I have learned about Aidan, is that if I don't get things back in their place then he starts wreaking havoc. So it's better to help him daily keep things in order so that things don't get out of control.

But Dale has pretty much become Mr. Mom and has been filling my shoes. It has helped tremendously so that I can avoid all of the things that seem to irritate my bum and make things more painful. Even so, I feel like my recovery process is sort of (in the words of the great Paula Abdul) "two steps forward, and one step back." I start to feel really good for a couple of days, then I start feeling pretty rough again for a short time. It's become sort of a cycle, I've noticed.

I'm doing my best at trying not to get bored of this. I am really bad about just ignoring pain and moving on. If I weren't pregnant, I probably would just be trying to do things like normal. Silly, I know. But I am motivated by my pregnancy to get better faster, and to have a healthy birth. I want good things for this baby. So, I'm doing my best to stay chill, avoid things that might aggravate, and do more things that will help.

One thing I've got to do, is figure out some creative things around the house that are not super messy, that can help me entertain the kids. They are getting some SERIOUS cabin fever and are at each other's throats.

I love if you all could be in prayer with me: about my healing and about my mothering through my recovery. Thanks a bunch!


No comments:

Post a Comment